Thursday, May 17, 2007

How I wish

"Be careful what you wish for, it might be granted to you."

Somebody might have said it to me, or I might have read it from somewhere. But yes, I wish, yes, how I wish I was more careful in my wishes.

God has been good, really good to me. He gave me a lot of blessings more than what I wished for. Now I'm just tired.

I wished for work that would be pioneering in my field of expertise. I wished that I could work with no specific time to come in or out. I wished that I could help other journalists.

God granted me my wish.

I work in the morning, I work in the afternoon, I work in the evening, I work at dawn, I work in the office, I work outside the office, I just work.

Reporters who get threats call me, media organizations call me for interviews when a journalist is killed, I attend meetings, travel to places without enjoying the sites, address audiences as if it is my responsibility to attend such functions, etc, etc.

I just work. I have no time to enjoy the fruits of my work, to gaze at the sunset or welcome the sunrise. I haven't seen a movie for a long time, I haven't been to a mall, I haven't sung in a videoke bar, I haven't even had beer with colleagues.

How I wish I can still make a wish without God making a joke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,

It was Saint Teresa who warned that "more tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones."

Fortunately or unfortunately, life can be one big cosmic joke sometimes.

So, yes, we do have to be careful with what we wish for. For how can we enjoy life? How can we even enjoy a movie if we have to leave our date in the middle of watching it because of a television interview? How can we enjoy a romantic dinner if our mobile phones keep on ringing? How can we enjoy the laughter of our children if we allow our bosses to summon us without mercy? How...just how can we welcome the sunrise if we don't even have time to break from work?

Hope the next time you make a wish, it's what you really, really want.

wishes and prayers,

your guardian angel.

Joe Torres said...

Thanks, Mother Teresa!