Thursday, May 25, 2006

To 'Anonymous'

Here’s a comment I got from an anonymous reader of an earlier blog entry titled “Road Trip”:

“What exactly can you do if you go to Palawan? Will you be able to bring back the life of your colleague? Journalists are all the same: You have messianic delusions.”


Here’s my answer to this unfortunate being:

“I haven't been to Palawan. I want to see the place. Who said I will bring back the life of my colleague? Even Jesus only did it once, for Lazarus. Thank God for the messianic delusions journalists have, morons like you have something to read. I hope you're not as cowardly as you seem to be, hiding behind an anonymous comment.”


Let me add:

The comment of the reader saddens me, more than it peeves me. I pity the person and the people who share the idea.

“What exactly can you do if you go to Palawan?”

I will condole with the family of the victim. Nothing is more comforting for someone who loses a loved one than a sympathetic handshake, a presence of someone who shares the grief, an expression of support even from a stranger.

The reader who wrote the comment seems to have not experienced losing someone he or she truly loves.

One day, dear reader, someone in your family, like any family, including mine, will die. Then you will experience grief and hopefully will treasure a pat on the back, a sympathetic handshake, a presence of someone who shares the grief, an expression of support even from a stranger.

What will I do in Palawan?


I will just be there, if my schedule and resources will allow me. I will see the place. I will talk with people and, maybe, even enjoy the plane ride.

Will you be able to bring back the life of your colleague?


No.

That’s one of the most stupid questions I’ve answered my whole life.

Journalists are all the same: You have messianic delusions.


Not true.

Not all journalists have “messianic delusions.” Some are in the profession for the money, others for fame, others for influence, while others become journalists because they don’t know what to do with their lives.

Actually, my dear, only a few in the profession have “messianic delusions.” And it’s really unfortunate.

No comments: